Be Still

My husband's first deployment is right around the corner. To say emotions have been up and down over the last three months is an understatement.

There is much that comes with a deployment, besides the obvious long separation. On top of anticipating your loved one being in harms way for 9-12 months, there are many things the soldier has to prepare for himself and his family before he leaves...

He has new equipment to be issued/organized/laundered. He also has a huge list of extra supplies to buy in order to be prepared and comfortable (new socks and ground coffee are two of my husbands "necessities":)). Then all of his stuff is shipped out in stages over the course of, about, three months prior to the actual departure. Seeing my husband for the first time in his new Multicam uniform was quite the tear jerker. The Army is retiring the ACU for the Multicam, which is currently only being worn by soldiers deploying overseas.



Then there are all the financial and legal issues we need to square a way as a family. Powers of Attorney, copies of his deployment orders, and Wills.  Hard discussions, like funeral wishes, if the worst should happen. Making lists of checking accounts, military accounts, and email accounts passwords and usernames. Changing the oil in the cars. Making sure the car(s) registration are up to date OR I have proper power of attorney to renew the registration for his car, should it expire during his absence.

But despite the reality of being well within the 30 day window of my husbands departure, my heart is calm. I have intentionally been meditating on Psalm 46 and the peace found in the truth of God's sovereignty has quieted my mounting fears. Of course all of the "what if's" plague my mind. Ignoring those fears or denying their reality is not beneficial to your soul; BUT replacing them with the truth of God's word is beneficial to your soul and thought life. Psalm 46 speaks directly of my hearts current fears and worries. I have felt at times that my earth is being removed (verse 2) at the thought of my husband deploying to a war zone. But I have been reminded that God is in my midst and I shall not be moved. God has surely helped me at MY break of dawn (verse 5)-the 30 day window.

1 God is our refuge and strength; a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;3 though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with its swelling.  Selah  4 There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High. 5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn. 6 The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted.  7 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.  Selah  8 Come, behold the works of the LORD, who has made desolations in the earth. 9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariot in the fire. 10 Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.  Selah

So, if you're gearing up for a deployment or you can see the very faint light at the end of the tunnel, remember that God is in your midst and you shall not be moved!




Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Welcome!