Real Simple Recipe, Simply Paleo Style

Changing from a PB&J, french baguette and cheese, and dairy lover to a fruit, nuts, veggies, and lean meat lover took some time and a ton of work.  But if I can give up my side of an entire baguette with a glass of wine, you can kick your gluten love affair too!!!

If I'm not cooking out of Sarah Fragoso's cookbook, Everyday Paleo, for my little family of three, I'm taking my favorite recipes and turning them "Paleo".

Yesterday, my newest issue of Real Simple arrived in the mail. In it contained a section of "One Dish Dinners" with a simplified rendition of Shepherds Pie. I LOVE Shepherds pie. But between the peas, corn, and white potatoes it's definitely not Paleo. But after reading the recipe, it can easily be converted and I can't wait to try it out...possibly this weekend!





Real Simple's Cottage Pie Recipe
3 pounds new potatoes
kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound frozen pearl onions, thawed
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 medium butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 cup frozen peas

My Paleo Conversion Recipe
1 Large Cauliflower head (Try Sarah Fragoso's Savory Cauliflower Mash in lieu of potatoes)
kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup grass fed heavy cream OR plain coconut milk
4 tablespoons grass fed unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound frozen pearl onions, thawed
1 1/2 pounds grass fed beef OR bison
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup coconut flour (coconut flour is extremely dense and has a strong flavor. I always cut the called for amount of flour in half when substituting)
2 cups gluten free chicken broth (I use Herb ox chicken bouillon cubes)
1 medium butternut squash OR 4 large carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup frozen broccoli OR any other green veggie that's not a legume!

Now I'm HUNGRY!!!  Paleo is Possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Welcome!