Mind Games

This past Saturday my husband and I went out for a planned 10 mile run. Whether you have experience running 1 mile or 50 miles, I know you'll agree when I tell you that I knew within the first 30 seconds how this run was going to feel. It wasn't a good feeling either. But, I wanted to be a good sport and run the 10 miles with my husband. I love running with my husband on the weekend, partially because he pushes our daughter for me! A welcomed relief!

We stopped to stretch at our usual spot. And after I stretched I was feeling a bit better. We were keeping a good pace, 7:30 minute miles, until we hit the first major hill in our neighborhood. Then it was all down hill for the next 2 miles. I was trailing behind my husband. Frustrated with myself and slightly agitated by his encouraging, "come on darlin, you can do it" statements, I "thought" I couldn't pick up my pace. At this point we were poking along at about a 9:30 minute mile. Thankfully, my husband had mercy on me and cut our 10 mile run short and we turned at the 8.5 mile turn around point. But then I slowed down to a 10 minute mile. He turned around and asked me what was wrong. I lamely replied, "I hurt. I can't. I can't run any faster." He didn't believe me and neither did I, really, but that's what my mind was telling me...


We poked along for another quarter mile and then I asked if I could put on my iPod. Of course he obliged my request, anything to maybe pick up the pace!!!

We stopped for a moment while I got everything situated. I immediately searched for my Beach to Battleship Half Ironman playlist, which had all of my favorite music from my train-up to that particular race. I selected ADELE's "Set Fire to the Rain" first and turned up the volume ALL the way. The music was just what I needed to block out the self doubt that was on repeat in my head.

Astonishingly, for the remaining 4.25 miles we cranked out a 7:30 minute mile pace while I jammed to some of my favorite tunes!!! I was floored and my husband was relieved.

Sometimes your iPod just needs to be louder than your self doubt.

How about you? What are your favorite workout "pump up" tunes to get your body moving when you're mind says you cannot?

These were mine on Saturday:

Set Fire to the Rain by ADELE
Suddenly I see by KT Tunstall
Let's Dance by Miley Cyrus
Say It Right by Nelly Furtado
Praise Adonai by Paul Baloche
Show Me Your Glory by Third Day
Rockstar by Hannah Montana


Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Welcome!