Two of my favorite saving graces!

Having a baby changes everything. But, you don't realize it changes everything until you have your very own!

As I am learning to roll with the frequent spontaneity and inconsistency of the military lifestyle I am also learning how to use my time more wisely and effectively as a wife, mom, and athlete. Otherwise, I'd probably be pretty frazzled and grumpy all of the time.

Two of my favorite, already owned, time savers are the door frame pull up bar we've owned for a long time and our new Vitamix Blender! If you don't have either, consider the following my recommendation for you to put this on your next birthday or Christmas wish list!

What are your favorite in-home time savers?! Tell me your in-home time savers or solutions in the comment section below!






For the longest time I was intimidated by pull ups (and still am to a degree). And now that we have a baby, I initially complained (often) about not being able to weight lift anymore for lack of childcare or proximity to a gym-all you mom's know it can take just as long to get OUT the door and INTO the gym as it does to actually get a quality workout accomplished.  Well, once I got over my pull-up intimidation I started to look at my situation differently and realized I could do a 30 minute workout in our home as soon as our 16 month old is down for her nap!

Enter, intimidating pull up bar...

My husband had this handy dandy door frame pull up bar before we were married and I always looked on enviously as he repped out pull-up after pull-up with apparent ease.  Before you roll your eyes and tell me you can't do one pull up, hear me out! I couldn't do one pull up this past May either. I used to be able to do SEVEN in high school at the peak of my swimming competitions. Talk about demoralizing realization post-baby: not being able to pull myself up ONCE!

But, I didn't just do pull ups to re-build my pull up strength and you shouldn't either unless you want to frustrate yourself. I literally hung on the bar for 15-30 seconds at a time. Even, if you do hanging reverse crunches on a pull up bar, you kill two birds with one stone! And I incorporated other exercises so I didn't get bored or frustrated with my progress.

So, if you have 20-30 minutes to spare and $30-$60 in left over in Christmas money, you have access to a great strength training routine during nap or lunch time!

This is the routine I follow three times a week, which is enough to keep my arms and legs strong and toned during these lazy winter months! Sometimes, when my little on wont nap, surprise, I'll hold her during a set of squats or lunges. It makes it fun for her as I count out loud and gives me 24 pounds of extra resistance!
4 pull ups 
(or dead hang 10-30 seconds x4
or hold your chin above the bar for 10-30 seconds x4)
20 push ups
("girl" or "guy" just do 20 and don't stick your butt in the air)
30 squats
(look up to the ceiling and don't let your knees go over your toes!)
30 lunges
20 reverse hang crunches
20 sit ups
(hands behind your head, on your chest, or buy your side)
20 calf raises (each leg)
3-4 total sets without stopping
(yes, you'll break a sweat if you do it right! :))

And now, as of Christmas I am now a proud owner of a Vitamix Blender from my ever generous in-laws!!! It has replaced my little red Black and Decker blender from college in color AND performance. While, I was initially a bit sad about retiring my little red B&D blender, (so many memories!), now that I have used the Vitamix for smoothies, soups, and, as of today, HOLLANDAISE sauce I am shocked we did not put this kitchen gadget on our wedding registry.

The Vitamix is surprisingly super easy to clean and operate. We packed this puppy full of raw veggies during its inaugural trial for a ginger carrot soup and it pureed those veggies like they were pre-cooked! Best yet, it's super speedy to make a nutritious fruit or veggie protein shake for my 16 month old in the morning. I toss in (her favorite combo) frozen blueberries, a frozen banana, about a cup of coconut milk, a splash of orange juice, a handful of almonds, and voila! An antioxidant rich, protein packed, quality carbohydrates, and good fat blended together to start her busy-body morning...and mine...in less than 5 minutes.

Today, I made my quick blender hollandaise sauce recipe in a snap, quite literally, for my husbands request of our version eggs Benedict-poached eggs over bacon drizzled with hollandaise sauce, we skip the gluten filled biscuit/english muffin anymore, but still just as yummy and filling when you add a side of fresh fruit!

All you need to make a nice hollandaise are five common ingredients, a little bit of coordination, and preparation. First, melt 1 stick of butter in a pourable glass measuring cup. Plop into your blender 3 egg yolks, 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Blend the egg yolks and spices on super high speed for 2 seconds. While you continue to blend pour in the melted butter in a steady stream until all combined. Continue blending for a thicker consistency if desired. That's it!





Olivia

Comments

  1. I finally have started working on my dead hangs. Or I did last week. Who knows, maybe a real pull-up is in my future!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Welcome!