What to do with your 2 year old!

You guys, I'm homeschooling this year, like for real-ish because AB is 6 *gasp* and we're moving at some point this year, probably around Christmas *YAY* ......  *SIKE* ;)

Anyway, I also have a 2.5 year old girl and a 15 month old BOY *CHEERS* :)



So, I'm doing REAL school with the 6 year old, like I've lesson planned like you wouldn't believe and we get stuff done...most days. Buuuutttt the little 2.5 year old of course wants to be like her big sister, so I'm also doing "real" school with her ;)

We started school on August 1 this year because we had a big graduation celebration for the hubs in the middle of September so I knew that week would be OUT...grandparents visiting. ceremonies. long drives. wacky schedule. dinner out. parties. NO sense in trying to still do school with all those variables!!!

I wrote out ALL the activities I have done with G bug (the 2.5 year old) since we started school and I was ASTOUNDED with myself, yes I am patting myself on my back. AND I feel WAY better about my competence as a homeschooling mama. All that to say...........Sketch your plan. Make some goals.

BUT WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU ACTUALLY DO INSTEAD OF YOUR TO DO LIST.

This method has helped immensely in guarding against depression when I find at the end of the day that my to do list IS NEVER DONE ;)  

I'm going to break it down by mornings, afternoons, and days of the week. So you can kind of see how to fit this into your life. Now, if you have just one precious 2 year old I want you to know that ONE HOUR of TOTAL instructive activity is ALL THAT THEY NEED in a day, maybe less. So throw one 15 minute activity in here or there throughout your day and then just let your time with them just be. They just need you and your lap and to *help* with real life stuff more than anything. Less is more. Trust me.

EVERY MORNING:
Gets up
Picks up her toys (with my direction)
Gets Dressed (with my help)
Brushes Hair and Teeth (with my help)

On Monday/Wednesday/Friday

AFTER BREAKFAST:
Free play while I clean up
We read our bible/character story & science story
Do 2 letter cans (talk about the colors too!)
We head to gym/go for walk

AFTER LUNCH/BEFORE NAP:
We read 2-4 books of her choosing, usually Dr. Suess

AFTER NAP/BEFORE DINNER:
We will do ONE craft/activity like the following:
On Tuesday/Thursday

AFTER BREAKFAST:
Free play while I clean up (usually outside)
We read our bible story & science story
Do 2 letter cans
Do 2-3 "Copy Work" activities...this is G's *real* school day, so I spend about an 45 minutes doing these things with her
  • Puzzles
  • Bead Play (sorting into muffin tins, talking about colors, counting)
  • Block Towers (build build build and knock in down!)
  • Dice Game
  • Coloring/Cutting/Pasting into homemade book (you know, just staple some paper together ;) )
  • Stickers into homemade book
  • Dry erase board free draw (let 'em explore)
  • Matching Shapes & Colors (onto clock/puzzle)
  • Printable Pages Coloring (crab, frog)
  • Bubble Experiment (air has particles concept...blow through straw into soapy water!)
  • Paper Plate Flower
  • Stamping into homemade book
  • Rice Bin
  • Muffin Tin Pom Poms 
AFTER LUNCH/BEFORE NAP
We read 2-4 books of her choosing

AFTER NAP
Park/Free play!
Big sisters science experiment day/art activity

I need to add some more links and explanations but my babies are waking and need to get on with the evening!

Hope this helps!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Welcome!