Grateful

So the hubs made it home just in time for Thanksgiving this year...like 9pm the night before. Other than missing it once altogether that's the closest he's ever cut it, in 7 years. I am grateful.

We spent the holiday with our good good good friends. That tradition was started by us crashing their family thanksgiving with 6 extra people....practically on the spur. We've since learned to at least let them know how many extra people we will bring to Thanksgiving dinner (ahead of time) AND actually cook some food for them ;)

With family too far away and friends that are practically family, Friends-giving has become our tradition and I love it. I am grateful.

On the flip side of holiday fun, while the hubs passed his extra jumping out of planes schooling he kind of hurt his ankle.  So, that threw a wrench in his other hopeful schooling plans before we move. However, because of that "snaffoo", almost quite literally, when we move HE'LL STAY WITH US. Instead of coming back for more training after the holidays.  For that, I am grateful.

But Thanksgiving + Daddy's home + We're moving...has kind of equaled some acting out and neediness in our typically angelic and flexible children. But I am grateful, because...
  • WITH* the temper-tantrums you remember that you have to remember how to be a parent, and a parent together
  • Without some neediness in your children you forget to slow down and just hold them 
I wanted to make sure I remembered the real reason for Christmas this year and I think, ironically, the chaos of our move before the holidays is helping.  I'm letting a lot go internally (because I have to fill up packing boxes and little time for much else aka frantic "Christmassing") and am taking whatever small moments  I have to be slow with my three little children-who will be affected the most by this move.  Really, I am just doing more of what I want to do as a mom, so I am grateful for this huge transition to open my eyes to the most important little things.

Most of all I am grateful for all the people in my life that are making this move so heart-wrenching. I am beyond grateful for my support system that has grounded me and taught me so much about myself. But, I am grateful for the next chapter and the next opportunity to grow and ground myself, even just for a little while.

Because like I told my tearful six year old this week, "the best part about being sad about missing your friends we are leaving is that you were brave enough to make friends. So lets be brave again together in Florida."

Every change is an opportunity to grow. I am grateful our lifestyle has dramatic changes built into it.

and I'll keep repeating this to myself as I drive to the Sunshine State...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Decisions! Decisions!