Natural Remedy for Sinusitis

The next time our little one gets sick I'm running, no sprinting, to the store for a slew of new movies, tissues, tea, vitamin C, and extra cough drops...because a repeat of communal sickness has finally taught me that once one of us gets sick we are ALL probably going to be sick!  It's been a long four weeks of battling shared sicknesses in our house, but we are finally on the mend...

While my husband was sick last week, he confided in me that he originally thought I was crazy when I gave him herbal teas, garlic capsules, ricola cough drops, and a bunch of other vitamins the first time he was sick under my watch...until he got better after following my instructions ;) Now he trusts me so much with the natural remedies I research [for non-life-threatening common colds], that when I come home from the health food store and say, "here take this" he doesn't even ask me what I am giving him ;)

I grew up with my mom referencing the Prescription for Nutritional Healing, consequently, I now own my own copy and reference it whenever colds come our way. I am a firm believer that our bodies are the miracle, we need to only nourish it properly.

But I am NOT an MD or ND, so do not take the following as medical advice...rather, as experiential advice from someone who would rather build up my good antibodies :)

I was down and out for a week with a sinus infection a week after our little one had a terrible cough. Since we've lived in North Carolina I have had reoccurring sinusitis in the spring and have treated them with antibiotics.

Not wanting a repeat of back to back sinus infections this spring, I decided to see if letting my body do some work in fighting the infection would help. So, at the first sign of my annual sinusitis I ran to the health food store instead of our military doctor and followed the following regimen for a solid week and was better!

Now its wait and see if I have repeat sinusitis later this spring!!


Natural Remedy for a Sinus Infection:
  1. Eliminate ALL dairy and grains for the duration of your infection
  2. Start your morning with this anti-inflammatory smoothy ::
Combine in your blender ::
2 handfuls of fresh spinach
1 cup of mixed frozen berries (blueberries and raspberries, particularly)
1 banana (frozen or fresh)
1-3 teaspoons flax seed oil (or seeds)
1/4 teaspoon dry ginger or 1/2" of peeled fresh ginger
1-3 cups of cold water to your desired consistency

      3.  Take twice daily ::

250-500mg of Goldenseal
250-500mg of Bromelain (pineapple extract! add fresh pineapple to your smoothy for some extra sweetness!)
250-500mg of Garlic capsules (or if you enjoy green olives, indulge in garlic stuffed olives! yum!!!) 
pain reliever for sinus pressure

     4.   Drink 4-6 cups daily of Echinacea Tea to help support your immune system
     5.   Consume 75% raw fruits and veggies and broths
     6.   REST!

I found that, if you follow this regimen at the first sign of sinusitis symptoms you will begin to feel better within 48 hours and completely well within 7 days...same as an antibiotic, but you'll "feel" better throughout the process and, like I said, you are causing your body to build up immunity by assisting its fight with these herbs and quality foods :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Welcome!