It's 2013!!!

 “What day is it?"
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.”

-A.A. Milne

I don't really like "new year's resolutions" simply because they are notoriously outlandish, unachievable, and usually cause more remorse instead of relish in achievement!

But if you ask my husband, I do like new year's GOALS. And I like to go over them on New Year's Eve and again on New Year's Day and again during the entire month of January until a detailed set of goals are decided and written down ;) 


All of my goals for 2013 seem to have a similar theme that is found in two of my favorite quotations ::

“Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering”
-Ida Scott Taylor
“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment. Fools stand on their island of opportunities and look toward another land. There is no other land; there is no other life but this.”
-Henry David Thoreau 

Living in and cherishing real life moments seems to be increasingly difficult to do in our fast past instant-gratification society. So I intend to greatly narrow down my "to do list" this year and focus more on *just* my relationships, soul, mind, and body.


But I also know that living too intently in the present can also be a trap. Because, "in absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia" (author unknown).

So, in order to help "define" my goals for 2013 I have a phrase :: Take The Time to Be Intentional.
  1. intentional relationally: initiate hospitality (I'm a closet introvert, really;))
  2. intentional physically: run more (a newly discovered joy, but especially with my daughter)
  3. intentional spiritually: pray more (essential)
  4. intentional intellectually: read 12 books, write more (2 things I love, but don't do enough of)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it really still July?

New House!

Welcome!